Immigration Law

US passport and judges court gavel, from above

Your Miami Immigration Lawyer

The Law Office of Casais & Prias provides comprehensive immigration law services including:

Immigration applications are often long and tricky, involve complicated and quick-changing areas of law, and often require substantial documentation requiring special attention to detail. That is why it is important that you hire an experienced immigration attorney to help you navigate the immigration process from beginning to end.

Family Based Immigration

US Citizens may file an immediate relative petition for their spouse, parents, and/or unmarried children under the age of 21. Immediate relatives have special priority and a visa is always available to them. In addition, US Citizens may also file petitions for their married children and children over the age of 21 and for their siblings, subject to the family preference categories. Petitions that fall within the family preference categories are subject to yearly numerical limits.

Immigration through Marriage to a US Citizen

US Citizens who are married to a non-US Citizen may petition for their spouse as an immediate relative. 

Summary of the Immediate Relative Petition Process

The US Citizen files a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (“USCIS”) on behalf of their spouse, parent, or child (“beneficiary”). Simultaneously, the beneficiary files their residency application and applications for other qualifying immigration benefits. The beneficiary attends a USCIS biometrics appointments where their fingerprints and photo are captured to conduct a background investigation. 

Once the background check is completed, USCIS will schedule an immigration interview for both the US Citizen and beneficiary, to verify important information on the applications and determine the applicant’s eligibility. 

Nonimmigrant Visa Services

Below are the nonimmigrant visa services offered by our firm:

Naturalization Services

Below are the naturalization services offered by our firm:

Residency Services

Below are the residency services offered by our firm:

Frequently Asked Questions

Generally, a person must be 18 before applying to become a US citizen.

  • U.S. citizens are able to vote in federal, state, and local elections.
  • U.S. citizens are also able to run for public office and to serve on a jury.  Additionally, only US citizens qualify for certain government jobs and  scholarships.
  • U.S. citizens have access to public benefits, including social security payments.
  • U.S. citizens are also able to file petitions for their immediate relatives to immigrate to the United States.

A lawyer is not required but strongly suggested. A naturalization application can quickly become complicated if not handled correctly. The problems can cause delays and may even result in a denial. It is not unusual for an individual who has had an application for naturalization denied, subsequently be placed in removal/deportation proceedings.

Official USCIS processing times vary from month to month, however most naturalization applications take approximately six months to process.


Generally, a US permanent resident must wait five years before applying for naturalization. However, if you obtained your residency through marriage to a US Citizen, and are still married to and living with your US Citizen spouse, you can apply for naturalization after three years of permanent residency.

No, you can apply for naturalization 90 days prior to the five or three year mark.

Only males between the ages of 18 and 26 must register with the Selective Service. Not registering with the Selective Service does not permanently bar an applicant from becoming a naturalized citizen, but it may cause problems and should be handled with care before applying for naturalization.

Yes, including but not limited to individuals who are convicted of certain crimes, individuals affiliated with certain political groups, and deserters of the armed forces.

Generally, yes. In most cases, an individual applying for naturalization must be able to speak, read, and write English. There are exemptions to this requirement for individuals with physical or mental impairments, applicants over 50 years old who have resided in the US as a permanent resident for more than 20 years, or if the applicant is over 55 years old and has resided in the U.S. As a permanent resident for over 15 years.

heading icon


Request A Free Case Evaluation